National Donut Day was last week, so we’re having a little late celebration with homemade passion fruit donuts! The donuts are dairy free, baked to perfection and dunked in passion fruit glaze. The glaze is bursting with fresh passion fruit flavor and texture from the seeds. Although the seeds are optional in this recipe, they certainly add to the look and taste of these baked cake donuts, which just so happen to be the ultimate summer/tropical donut flavor perfect for parties, or just because! You’ll certainly need no excuse to enjoy a small batch any time this season!
Passion fruit Donuts (dairy free)
Light and fluffy vanilla flavored baked cake donuts, with a generous coating of fresh passion fruit glaze. Dairy free, but you’d never know it!
Passion fruit donuts have been on my list to make and I happened to have a few extra passion fruit in the fridge from my daughter’s recent birthday party, so the timing worked out perfectly!
I used our family’s go-to donut recipe which is simple to follow but also one of the most versatile, with a gluten free/dairy free option.
The recipe makes just enough for 8 servings, which are ready to bake and then devour in under an hour!
Fresh passion fruit
Fresh passion fruit has a distinct tropical flavor similar to lemon, with floral notes, sour and sweetness. I’ve used it in several recipes on the blog, but it’ll shine in just about any recipe it’s used in, from cakes and donuts to icing, frostings, curds and tarts.
Since the fruit is naturally tart, it accompanies the sweet glaze deliciously, resulting in the most delightful donuts!
Passion fruit seeds
The seeds in passion fruit are optional but 100% edible, adding texture and color to baked goods and cocktails!
Passion fruit Donut Ingredient List
Below is a list of all the supplies and ingredients you’ll need to make a small batch of these passion fruit donuts at home!
- 6 cavity donut pan
- Piping bag
- All-purpose flour (organic) (1-1 gluten free flour also works)
- Granulated sugar
- baking powder (aluminum free)
- baking soda
- vegan butter (I use Earth Balance) or butter of choice.
- Avocado oil
- 1 egg
- lemon zest
- Vanilla bean seeds or vanilla
Passion fruit Glaze:
- Powdered sugar
- Fresh passion fruit (2) You can also use passion fruit flavoring
- Alternative milk (almond milk is my preference) or any milk of choice.
Organic and alternative ingredients
This donut recipe is versatile so the use of alternative ingredients is optional. You can certainly use what you have on hand in the pantry and they’re sure to be delicious. Gluten free flour works well also!
How to make a small batch of passion fruit donuts
You’ll appreciate how easy these donuts are to make, especially with the small batch measurements. Feel free to double the recipe if you’d like to make more than 8 donuts.
- Step one. In a separate mixing bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Step two. Place, butter, (vegan) oil, and sugar together in the mixing bowl and mix until well combined.
- Step three. Add eggs, lemon zest and vanilla.
- Step four. Mix together until well combined.
- Step five. Pour dry mixture into the butter, sugar and egg, alternating in thirds with almond milk.
- Step six. Mix together until the batter forms.
- Step six. Preheat oven to 420 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Step seven. Transfer donut batter into a piping bag.
- Step eight. Grease the donut cavities well, then pipe the donut batter into each donut cavity filling 2/3 full.
- Step nine. Bake donuts for six minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Step ten. While the donuts are baking, prep the passion fruit glaze with powdered sugar, fresh passion fruit and almond milk (if needed). The glaze should be thick enough to stay put on the donuts and not drip off.
- Step eleven. Once the donuts have been removed from the oven and cooled, dunk them in the passion fruit glaze.
- Serve immediately or transfer to the fridge on a sheet of parchment, so the glaze can harden. Enjoy with coffee, or your favorite beverage!
Below is a quick video to show you how quickly the donuts come together.
Light and fluffy vanilla flavored baked cake donuts, with a generous coating of fresh passion fruit glaze. Dairy free, but you’d never even know it!
Passion fruit Donuts:
- 1/4 cup vegan butter (regular butter can also be used)
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1/2 cup raw organic sugar (or regular sugar)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Seeds from 1/2 vanilla bean (or 2 tsp vanilla)
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 1 1/4 cups organic all-purpose flour (1–1 gluten free flour can also be used)
- 1/2 cup of alternative milk of choice (I use almond)
Passion fruit Glaze:
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Nectar from 2 fresh passion fruit OR 1 to 2 tsp passion fruit flavoring
- Dash of almond milk (only to thin glaze slightly for dunking if necessary)
Passion fruit Donuts
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Grease donut baking cavities well.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a separate mixing bowl until combined. Set aside
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or just a glass bowl, mix together vegan butter, oil and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in egg, lemon zest and vanilla and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Pour a portion of the dry flour mixture into the wet mixture, alternating in thirds with almond milk, until completely combined.
- Pour the mixed batter into a piping bag with a round tip or cut the tip with scissors.
- Pipe the batter into the well greased donut cavities filling just below the edge.
- Tap the donut pan to evenly spread the batter.
- Bake in the oven for 6+ minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove baked donuts from pan and transfer to a cooling rack.
Passion fruit Glaze:
- Pour powdered sugar into a glass bowl.
- Stir passion fruit nectar with seeds
- Mix thoroughly until thick and combined.
- When the glaze is ready, it should be a thick slow dripping dip consistency.
- Note: the amount of nectar from each passion fruit will vary, so you may need to add a dash of milk 1/4 tsp at a time to thin, or you may not need any milk at all.
- Dunk the donuts face down into the glaze.
- Shake off excess, then place them on a piece of parchment to set.
- Dust with powdered sugar and edible blooms for garnish.
- Let the donut glaze to set for 10-20 minutes. You can even place them in the fridge to set quicker.
- Store in a well sealed container preferably in the fridge until ready to serve.
- They will keep for roughly 3 days but taste best when eaten the same or next day.
Keywords: passion fruit donut recipe, passion fruit desserts, easy baked donuts, dairy free baked donuts, homemade donut recipes, passionfruit glaze, tropical donut flavors, summer donut recipes, how to make baked donuts, best baked donut recipe
If you have fresh passion fruit on hand at home, this is a wonderful and delicious way to use it!
The donuts would also be a yummy addition to summer treat menus, or for a sweet tooth fix.
If you loved today’s recipe, comment below and show love by sharing on Pinterest, or instagram! More summer recipes are on the way!
This post titled Passion fruit Donuts was seen first on Posh Little Designs. All Rights Reserved. 2023