Linzer cookies have become a favorite in our family and for good reason! They’re delicious, easy to bake and versatile with optional fillings and cutouts for the center of each cookie. From fruit preserves and jams, to ganache, frosting and curd, there’s no wrong way to enjoy a linzer cookie! I recently made a batch of strawberry linzer cookies for Valentine’s Day and they were so tasty, sharing the recipe with you was a must, even though the holiday has passed! Filled with fruit jam, and dusted in powdered sugar, they can be made for any season! Since they’re also dairy free, they’d be great cookie option for anyone with food sensitivities.
Dairy Free Strawberry Linzer Cookies
Soft linzer cookies, filled with strawberry jam and dusted in powdered sugar. Made with dairy free vegan butter.
What are Linzer cookies?
Linzer are sandwich cookies often filled with jam or preserves, then dusted in powdered sugar. The linzer cookie dough is similar to sugar cookie dough but includes almond flour which gives the cookies a light and sandy texture. They actually originated as a torte in Austria later turned cookies. The americanized version of this cookie often includes cinnamon in the dough, as well as a variety of filings. The cinnamon and fruit jam gives the them a taste similar to pie but in cookie form.
How to make dairy free linzer cookies
Making a batch of dairy free linzer cookies is really simple and similar to a batch of sugar cookies! Just replace regular dairy butter with a vegan butter alternative. The same measurements apply.
Once the dough is formed and rolled out, cut it into shapes of choice using cookie or biscuit cutters. Make sure to cut out an even number of cookie in the dough, so they can be matched up and sandwiched once baked. Once baked, cool and top with strawberry jam, and an additional cookie to form a sandwich. Dust with powdered sugar and enjoy.
A modern twist
Linzer cookies have to be one of the most popular cookies during the holidays! They often have a cutout in the right in the center of the top cookie which is adorable, allowing the filling to peek through. Modernize the placement of the cutout by offsetting to the bottom, top, left or right as I did with these Valentine’s liners. It just adds an extra touch to an all around delicious and adorable treat!
The cutout can easily be done with any shape of choice, for any holiday or occasion!
Soft linzer cookies, filled with strawberry jam and dusted in powdered sugar. Made with dairy free vegan butter. An easy and delicious treat for Valentine’s Day!
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour (or gluten free 1 to 1)
1/4 super fine almond flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup vegan butter (or regular butter)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
Quality strawberry jam/preserves
Powdered sugar for dusting
Round cookie cutter
Small fondant heart cutter or shape of choice
- Pour measured flour, almond powder, baking powder, cinnamon and salt into a bowl and mix until combined. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix vegan butter and sugar together until well combined and a pale yellow color.
- Use a rubber spatula to scrape down the edges of the bowl.
- Beat the egg and vanilla extract into the butter and sugar until smooth.
- Pour flour and almond mixture into the butter, egg and sugar on medium.
- Mix until the the cookie dough forms and attaches to the paddle.
- The mixing bowl should be mostly clean when the dough is ready to roll out.
- No chilling required!
- Preheat oven to 395 degrees.
- Lightly flour a rolling pin and a sheet of parchment paper or a solid surface.
- Roll out the linzer cookie dough onto a sheet of parchment about 1/4 ” thick.
- Cut the dough with a round cookie cutter in an even number. You’ll be able cut out approximately 2 dozen circles from the dough.
- Cut out a small shape in half of the cut dough circles.
- Remove the excess dough surrounding the cut shape, and tiny cutout then transfer the cookies on parchment to the oven.
- Bake in the middle rack for 5-6 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool completely before sandwiching.
- Repeat steps for remaining dough or cut the remaining dough.
- Cookies are over-baked with the edges or bottoms are brown.
Assembling the Linzer Cookies:
- Spoon or pipe strawberry jam onto the tops of the cookies without the cutouts.
- Dust cookies with cutout heart with powdered sugar.
- Then place the powered sugar covered cookie on top of the jam topped cookie to form a sandwich.
- Set cookies aside for a while for the flavors to mingle. Seal in an air tight container until ready to serve.
This recipe makes roughly 12-15 cookies. Double for extra.
Keywords: how to make linzer cookies, valentine's linzer cookies, strawberry linzer cookies, dairy free linzer cookies, easy valentine's cookies, holiday cookie recipes
I originally made these cookies for a Valentine’s Day box that I was putting together!
They’re such a pretty treat that they’ll look beautiful displayed.
They are also the simplest cookie to make taking under an hour from start to finish!
If you’re looking for a dairy free linzer cookie recipe, this is a good one to save and try!
This post titled Dairy Free Strawberry Linzer Cookies was seen first on Posh Little Designs. All Rights Reserved 2022.