Summer is officially upon us and the days are heating up. Yesterday it was upwards of 75 degrees and baking, although we love it, is a little lower on the to do list…especially on those scorching afternoons. Instead, we opt for recipes that require little to no baking, and can be made in a pinch!
That’s what’s so great about raw cakes! Not only are they allergen friendly and simple to make, raw cakes require no baking and are decadently delicious!
A classic raw cake is made with a cashew base and a date and nut crust. It’s like a modern version of a regular cheesecake, but naturally gluten, dairy and grain free.
To make a raw cake, start by soaking the cashews overnight, when drained and blended they transform into a dreamy and thick consistency. The date & nut crust is also quick to make in a food processor and pairs perfectly with the creamy cashew base.
Since the base of the raw cake is subtle and mild, it will take on the flavor of whatever you add to it. From chocolate to fruits, herbs, and spices, the possibilities with these cakes are endless!
Today’s raw cake is made with a coconut flavored base and garnished with fresh blueberries.
With the 4th of July coming up later this week, I made a quick raspberry sauce to drizzle over the top of the cake for a subtle play on red white & blue.
Coconut Blueberry Raw Cake
A creamy no bake coconut cashew cheesecake, topped with fresh berries and a drizzle of raspberry sauce.
A must make for summer and fresh berry season!Print
A creamy cashew based raw cake with a date and nut crust and fresh berry topping. Perfect for summer and the 4th of July. Dairy, Grain, Gluten free.
A spring form pan was used to make this raw cake
For the Crust:
- 1.5 cups pitted dates
- 1 1/2 cups raw walnuts
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the Cheesecake:
- 2 1/4 cups raw cashews (soaked overnight or in boiling water for 2 hours)
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- seeds from 1 vanilla bean
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
For the frosting:
- 1 cups organic shortening
- 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp organic coconut extract
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- Wilton Star Tip & Piping bag
1 pint fresh raspberries
1/3 cup coconut sugar
2 tsp lemon juice
1 pint fresh blueberries
Toasted unsweetened coconut for garnish.
FOR THE CRUST
- Soak pitted dates in hot water to soften, then drain.
- Pulse them in a food processor until paste like consistency.
- Place the date paste in a bowl, then process walnuts.
- Add dates back to the walnuts along with coconut and salt and process until mixture combines.
- Firmly press the date and pecan mixture into a parchment lined spring form pan.
Coconut Cashew Cake base:
- Drain liquid from cashews.
- Place cashews into the cup of a nutri bullet or blender.
- Pour remaining cheesecake filling ingredients into the blender with the cashews and blend until smooth and creamy. IF mix is too dry, add additional liquid 1 TBSP at a time.
- The cheesecake filling should be thick, smooth and creamy. Once this texture is achieved, pour over the date crust, gently tapping on the counter to smooth out the top.
- Freeze the cheesecake overnight, or for at least 4 hours.
- Remove frozen cheesecake from freezer and detach the top part of the spring form pan.
- Decoratively garnish one side of the cheesecake with piped frosting stars and top with toasted
- coconut & fresh blueberries.
- Place back in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Make raspberry sauce while cake is in the freezer.
For the Raspberry Sauce:
- Place pint of fresh raspberries into a pot.
- Top with 1/3 cup coconut sugar and lemon juice.
- Heat on high until raspberries begin to break down.
- Stir until thickened and blended, about 5-7 minutes.
- Strain to remove some of the seeds.
- Allow to cool.
To serve raw cake:
- Pull raw cake from freezer and allow 15 minutes to thaw.
- Slice and serve.
- Drizzle with fresh raspberry sauce.
Keywords: cheesecake, raw cake, vegan, coconut, blueberry, no bake dessert, summer desserts, gluten free, cashew
In addition to flavor and ease of making, you’ll love that this raw cake can be made up to a week in advance!
Just seal well and pop in the freezer for an easy dessert option ready to go at your next summer gathering!
Easy and delicious!
This post titled Coconut Blueberry Raw Cake was seen first on Posh Little Designs. All Rights Reserved. 2019.