Did you know that it’s National Popcorn Day today? I know! These food holidays can be a little funny at times, but also the perfect excuse to celebrate and indulge. To be completely transparent, I haven’t been indulging in much other than fruits and veggies as of late. I started a 18 day allergy elimination detox and I’m only on day 6, so I won’t be having any popcorn today, but I look forward to adding it back to my diet soon.
I actually made and photographed this popcorn a week ago. It’s one of my favorite snacks to make homemade with an air popper. Have you ever used one? Something about the air popper brings back memories from childhood, probably because we had one, but I just love to use it and so do my girls! It’s a great way to control the ingredients going into the popcorn to keep it light and healthy.
I usually prefer my popcorn with a little coconut oil and sea salt, but since Valentine’s Day is nearing, today’s popcorn recipe is inspired by the holiday of love.
Chocolate and strawberries have been a Valentine’s staple for years. There’s something timeless about the sweet combination that most everyone loves. Knowing that’s true, I’m certain you’ll fall in love with today’s Valentine’s Chocolate Strawberry Popcorn. You’ll even love the fact that it’s vegan and gluten-free.
Wondering how to add the strawberries to the popcorn without it turning soggy? All you need are freeze-dried strawberries!
You can find the strawberries in the health food aisles of most grocery stores. They’re tart and delicious and break down easily, making them a yummy addition to lots of recipes, like popcorn. I used vegan chocolate chips from Enjoy Life in this recipe. Their chips are made only with cane juice, natural chocolate liquor and non-dairy cocoa butter and taste divine. A little edible heart glitter for garnish and viola!
Valentine’s Chocolate Strawberry Popcorn
What I would do for a handful of this sweet and tart heart’s day mix right now!Print
Sweet and tart air popped popcorn made with strawberries and dark chocolate chips for Valentine’s Day. Vegan & Gluten Free
- 1/2 organic popcorn kernels
- 1/4 cup raw coconut oil
- 2 tbsp agave nectar
- 1/3 cup vegan chocolate chips (I use Enjoy Life brand)
- 1 cup of freeze dried strawberries crushed
- 1/2 cup of freeze dried strawberries whole
- Edible heart glitter (optional)
- Heat coconut oil and agave nectar together in a pot until melted. Remove from heat.
- Pop the popcorn using a popcorn maker. (This can also be done with unsalted butter free microwaveable popcorn).
- Pour the coconut oil and agave nectar over the popped popcorn until fully coated (You don’t have to use it all. There may be some left over). Don’t be afraid to get your hands dirty with this. Make sure every kernel is coated in the coconut agave mixture.
- Allow popcorn to cool slightly, then immediately mix in the crushed strawberries followed by the chocolate chips. Mix well with clean hands or a spoon.
- Garnish with whole dried strawberries and glitter, then place in the fridge to chill for 15 minutes.
- Remove from fridge and serve, or store in an airtight container until ready to serve.
- Look for other freeze dried fruits to use in this recipe. There are so many mix-in possibilities!
- Serving Size: 6
My girls were super excited to celebrate popcorn day today, so I sent them both to school with a bag full of the mix.
It is a great allergy free treat option for kids and simple to make too. Also a V-day party must!
If you’re loving these pink lip canapé plates as much as I am, head over to my Etsy shop to find out how to order!
Now go out and indulge in your favorite popcorn, or grab the ingredients to make a batch of this!
This post titled Valentine’s Chocolate Strawberry Popcorn was seen first on Posh Little Designs. All rights reserved. 2018