Happy Tuesday! Last week it was in the 80s, this week…not so much, but the warm temps definitely inspired today’s Strawberry Rhubarb Ice cream bars! The frosty ice cream bars are perfect for a hot summer day, layered with no-bake date and nut crust, vegan cashew ice-cream, fresh strawberries and the prettiest candied rhubarb ribbons that and a gorgeous finishing touch to the bars! If you’re looking for a quick and easy frozen dessert to make, be sure to give these a try!
STRAWBERRY RHUBARB ICE CREAM BARS
Strawberry and rhubarb ice cream bars, with a layer of no bake crust, creamy cashew ice cream, sliced strawberries and candied rhubarb. The ultimate summer ice cream dessert! Vegan & GF.
If you love strawberry and rhubarb, you’ll love these frosty ice cream bars! They’re addictive in every way, and a very easy make ahead treat, ready to pull from the freezer and enjoy at your convenience.
If you’re wondering how to make the gorgeous candied rhubarb ribbons that top the ice cream bars, it’s quite easy! I first saw the candied rhubarb technique done over on Sprinkle Bakes and I absolutely adore the look of it. Partially because the rhubarb is pink and I’m all about pink, but also because the layered effect is gorgeous and really dresses up any treat that it’s added to.
HOW TO MAKE CANDIED RHUBARB RIBBONS
Using a potato peeler, peel the rhubarb lengthwise into 1/2 inch thick ribbons. I find that it is easier to peel the rhubarb upwards instead of down. If you love the look of the pink, peel all of the pink layer from the rhubarb and the move onto the next stalk. You’ll need approximately 20 ribbons of rhubarb for this specific dessert, but it’s good to have extra just in case! Lay the rhubarb ribbons flat on a piece of parchment paper until ready to candy.
To candy the rhubarb, bring 1 cup organic sugar and 1 cup water to a boil to create a simple syrup. Reduce heat to medium, then using tongs, place all of the rhubarb ribbons into the simple syrup. Remove from heat. Gently stir the rhubarb around in the simmering simple syrup until its fully coated. The key to to candy the rhubarb and not allow it to overcook and turn to mush. After 1 minute, quickly remove rhubarb from simple syrup with tongs and place each ribbon onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Set aside to cool until you’re ready to make the ice cream bars.
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE ICE CREAM BARS
You won’t believe how easy it is to make these ice cream bars at home! All you need is a food processor for the quick crust, fresh sliced strawberries, 2 pints of ice cream of choice (vegan cashew ice cream) and candied rhubarb. You’ll also need parchment paper and a 9×5 loaf pan.
Start by making the crust base and then press into the parchment lined loaf pan.
Layer the crust with strawberry slices.
Pour thawed vegan ice cream or ice cream of choice over strawberries, spreading evenly to the edges.
Top with more fresh strawberry slices and the remaining half pint of thawed ice cream. Transfer to the freezer to harden for roughly 30 minutes. Then remove from freezer and top with candied rhubarb ribbons.
Return to the freezer to freezer for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
Slice, serve immediately and enjoy!
Tart and fruity strawberry and rhubarb ice cream bars, with a layer of no bake crust, creamy cashew ice cream, sliced strawberries and candied rhubarb. The ultimate summer ice cream bar! Vegan & GF.
FOR THE NO-BAKE NUT CRUST
- 1 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup raw cashews (or almonds)
- 3–4 dates, soaked and pitted (for sweetness)
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Seeds from half a vanilla bean
- 1/2 tsp salt
FOR THE CANDIED RHUBARB:
- Fresh rhubarb cut or peeled into 1/2 inch ribbons with a potato peeler (you’ll need roughly 20 ribbons from 2 stalks)
- 1 cups water
- 1 cup organic sugar
- Fresh strawberries, washed hulled and sliced lengthwise (about 12)
- 1 1/2 pint of vegan vanilla ice cream (I use cashew but any ice cream will work)
FOR THE CANDIED RHUBARB RIBBONS
- Bring the sugar and water to a boil in a saucepan.
- Drop the ribbons of rhubarb into the simple syrup, remove from heat and stir.
- Rhubarb should only stay in the sugar mixture for 1 minute, so it doesn’t turn to mush.
- Using a large fork or tongs, remove the rhubarb from the heated simple syrup, and place it lengthwise on parchment to soak up any excess liquid. Set aside to cool.
FOR THE NO BAKE CRUST:
- Melt coconut oil in the microwave or a pot on the stove.
- Place the almond flour, cashews, dates, vanilla, vanilla bean and salt into the bowl of a food processor. Process on high until all of the ingredients are combined.
- Pour in 2 tbsp of coconut oil and process until the mixture comes together and forms a crust.
- Press the crust mixture firmly and evenly into the parchment lined baking pan with your hands or the back of your spoon. Set aside.
- Top the nut crust with a layer of sliced strawberries.
- Pour the pint of softened ice cream on top of the strawberry layer, spreading evenly to cover all corners.
- Top ice cream with remaining sliced strawberries and then pour half the 2nd pint over top of the fresh strawberries.
- Place in the freezer to chill and partially harden for about 30 minutes.
- Remove from freezer and top with ribbons of candied rhubarb evenly layered across the ice cream.
- Return to fridge to fully freeze (about 2 hours or overnight.)
- Once the ice cream bar is completely solid, remove from freezer, pull it from the baking dish and cut lengthwise into 5 even slices, then cut slices in half again for square bars.
- Either cover and transfer back to fridge until ready to serve, or serve immediately and enjoy!
- The simple syrup the rhubarb is cooked in turns a gorgeous ruby color. Hold onto it and use for fresh rhubarb cocktails.
Keywords: how to make ice cream bars, easy ice cream bar recipes, strawberry rhubarb ice cream, vegan ice cream recipes, how to make candied rhubarb, candied rhubarb ribbons, gluten free ice cream bars, summer ice cream recipes
Strawberries are known to go well with ice-cream, but the addition of the tart rhubarb is a match made in heaven, bringing a nice fruit balance to this lightly tart and frozen ice cream treat.
The bars are ideal for summer gatherings and pool parties, as they’re simple to make in advance and they keep well frozen.
Plus the pretty pink rhubarb ribbons dress them up enough to serve as dessert for a summer bridal shower or any elegant celebration of your choice.
Of course because my youngest cannot have dairy, I made our ice cream bars completely vegan, but that’s totally optional. You can easily replace the coconut oil with butter and coconut ice-cream with dairy ice cream.
This post titled Strawberry Rhubarb Ice Cream Bars was seen first on Posh Little Designs. All Rights Reserved 2016.