Layers of fresh strawberries, ice cream, rhubarb ribbons and a no bake crust, make up these delightful summer ice cream bars. Vegan.
- 1 cup organic sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 2 cups oats
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch of salt
- Fresh rhubarb cut or peeled into 1/2 inch ribbons with a potato peeler or mandolin.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- Fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 pint of vanilla ice cream (I use vegan So Delicious *optional)
- Place parchment paper into a 9×9 baking dish and set aside.
- Pull pint of ice cream from your freezer to soften.
For the Cookie Crust
- Heat oil and sugar together on medium until it begins to bubble.
- Reduce to low and stir in almond flour, chopped nuts cinnamon, vanilla & salt.
- Once ingredients is blended, remove from heat and stir in oats.
- Allow a few moments to cool, then pour your cookie mixture into the parchment lined baking dish.
- Press the cookie mixture firmly and evenly into baking dish with the back of your spoon.
- Place in your fridge to chill.
Candied Rhubarb Ribbons
- Bring your sugar and water to a boil in a saucepan, for one minute.
- Drop your ribbons of rhubarb into the sugar mixture and stir.
- Rhubarb should only stay in the sugar mixture for 30 seconds, so they don’t turn to mush.
- Using a large fork or tongs, remove your rhubarb from the heated sugar mixture, and place it on paper towels to soak up any excess liquid. Set aside.
- Once your cookie crust is completely chilled and pressed firmly into your baking dish, remove from fridge and layer with sliced strawberries.
- Pour your softened ice cream on top of the strawberry layer, spreading evenly to cover all corners.
- Place back in the freezer to chill and partially harden for about 20 minutes, then remove.
- Top with ribbons of candied rhubarb evenly layered across the ice cream.
- Return to fridge to fully freeze (about 2 hours)
- Once the cookie ice cream bar is completely solid, remove from freezer, pull it from the baking dish and cut into square bars.
- Serve immediately, or cover and return to freezer until ready to enjoy
- The simply syrup your rhubarb is cooked in turns a gorgeous ruby color. Hold onto it and use for fresh rhubarb cocktails.