Happy Halloween weekend! This is such a fun time of year, where anything goes when it comes to dress up and decor. I had that thought in mind, when I decorated a few mini ghost pumpkins hanging around the house the other day. The pumpkins are inspired by the adorable #unicorncake(s) I keep seeing over on Instagram.
Random, I know, but I bet you’ve noticed everyone’s obsession with unicorns this year. Add cake to that and…magic! I think it’s safe to say 2016 has been the year of the unicorn, am I right?!
So with that said, I have these no-carve mini unicorn pumpkins for you to DIY with weekend. Complete with the drip cake effect, eyelashes, rosy cheeks and an adorable gold horn.
In addition to decorations, the unicorn pumpkins can be used as little vases that you can fill with fresh flowers and enjoy even after Halloween is over.
My girl’s fell in love with the mini uni-pumpkins! If you’re looking for a no carve pumpkin DIY to try this weekend, this is the one.
MINI PUMPKIN UNICORNS – DIY
S U P P L I E S
3-4 mini/medium casper ghost pumpkins, wiped clean.
Pink & Gold Acrylic Paint (I use Martha Stewart.)
Black & Gold Sharpies (or permanent pens.)
Fresh flowers of choice. I used white mums.
1 medium tip paint brush.
Model Magic Clay or similar.
Bobby pins or paper clips.
I N S T R U C T I O N S
1. Tip your paint tube over the top of each pumpkin and squeeze it to create a chocolate drip-like effect.
2. With your paint brush, pull the “dripped paint” up towards the top of each pumpkin until fully coated. You can let your paint dry and brush on a few more coats if necessary.
3. Give the drip paint time to dry.
4. Cut an opening in the center of each painted pumpkin (around the stem). Make the opening wide enough to scoop out the little seeds.
5. Scoop out and discard seeds from pumpkins.
6. Draw on your eyelashes using a black sharpie.
7. Brush on rosy cheeks using pink paint.
8. Using your gold pen, make two gold dots in the center of each pumpkin, for the nose.
9. Roll out a small piece of Model Magic clay until it’s about 4 inches long and half an inch wide. Separate into two even pieces.
10. Pinch the bottom of the two pieces of rolled clay together, to form a “V” shape.
11. Twist the two pieces of clay together, then roll it on a solid surface putting most of the pressure towards the top of the spirals (or unicorn horns).
12. Paint your unicorn horns gold and allow 30 minutes to dry.
13. Once dry, insert a bobby pin or bent paper clip into the center of each painted horn.
14. Trim your flowers to size (you’ll want the stems pretty short), then insert them in the center of your pumpkin, to create the “Mane”.
15. Push your painted unicorn horns into the center of flowers, using the bobby pin to secure each horn in place.
16. Repeat these steps for all your mini pumpkins.
Decorate your home with these cuties, or give them away as cute little Fall/Halloween gifts.
Wishing you all a spook-tacular weekend! If you need me I’ll be over on instagram admiring more of those #unicorncakes.
Thanks for reading!
The post titled Mini Pumpkin Unicorns was seen first on Posh Little Designs. All Rights Reserved 2016.