Summer is officially here and frosty treats that keep us nice and cool are a must! Our favorite ice cream desserts to enjoy are homemade, including today’s Red Velvet Ice Cream Sandwiches, which I made to celebrate the arrival of the new season. These ice cream sandwiches have so much delicious red velvet flavor thanks to the homemade red velvet graham crackers, which pair perfectly with the vegan coconut ice cream.
RED VELVET ICE CREAM SANDWICHES
There aren’t many ways you can do ice-cream sandwiches wrong. The flavor of the cocoa in the less sweet graham crackers truly comes through which balances well with the sweetness of the vegan ice cream.
You can easily use dairy in this recipe if you prefer. Simply replace all vegan ingredients with butter/milk/ice-cream.
HOW TO MAKE RED VELVET ICE CREAM SANDWICHES
Making these ice cream sandwiches is simple and a fairly quick process. Start with the graham crackers, by following the instructions in the recipe below. Allow the crackers to cool, then match them up and scoop ice cream onto the bottom half. Top with one more graham cracker to create sandwiches, then quickly transfer to the fridge before they melt. Allow to freeze for at least 1 hour, then serve and enjoy!Print
If you don’t have red velvet emulsion, the cocoa powder will give the graham crackers the rich red velvet taste, so I recommend adding a natural red food coloring until the desired shade of red is achieved.
FOR THE ICE CREAM SANDWICHES:
1 Pint of your favorite vegan Ice-cream (I prefer Coconut Bliss)
24 Red Velvet Graham Crackers (see recipe below)
Red or Navy Bakers Twine
1 sheet of parchment paper
Small butter knife
FOR THE RED VELVET GRAHAM CRACKERS
1 1/4 cups flour
1 1/3 cups graham flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup of vegan butter or coconut spread (I used half and half)
2/3 cups dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons Red Velvet Emulsion (or natural red food coloring added until the desired color is achieved)
1 fork, for puncturing the tops of each cracker.
A small mouth wine glass, or round cookie cutter.
FOR THE RED VELVET GRAHAM CRACKERS:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine vegan butter/coconut oil, brown sugar, honey and red velvet emulsion (or natural food coloring) and mix until light and incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, mix together both flours, (cocoa powder if not using the emulsion) baking soda and salt.
- Pour flour mix into the butter and sugar and mix on med high until dough forms.
- Note: If your dough comes out a bit dry, do not fear. Add a few drops of coconut milk, or dairy milk until the dough comes together and forms in your stand mixer.
- This would be the time to add coconut milk or milk of choice.
- Once dough has formed, wrap it in saran and place it in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, line 1 baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Once dough has chilled, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly flour a cleaned work surface, and roll dough out to about an 1/4 of an inch thickness.
- Using a 3 inch round cookie cutter, or small mouth wine glass, cut dough into circles and transfer onto lined baking sheet.
- Place the circles of dough onto the baking sheet and puncture the tops of each cracker two times with the marks of a fork.
- Bake in the oven for 7-8 minutes.
- Remove, and allow to fully cool. Once they’ve cooled, they’re ready for ice-cream!
- Remove your frozen vegan ice-cream from the freezer for about 5-10 minutes to give it time to soften.
- Take a heaping spoonful of ice-cream and sandwich it between two of the cooled Red Velvet Graham crackers.
- Run a knife or similar with a smooth edge along the complete outside of the ice-cream sandwich to remove any excess.
- Repeat these steps for all 12 sandwiches and promptly place back into the freezer before they melt!
- Once ice-cream sandwiches are frozen you can wrap them in bakers twine and store them back in the freezer until ready to enjoy!
Keywords: red velvet graham crackers, red velvet cookies, ice cream sandwiches, vegan ice cream sandwiches
Make these ice cream sandwiches in advance to enjoy for summer celebrations including the 4th of July! They freeze nicely and are a simple treat your guests will rave about.
Other than just for (which my daughter’s have loved) I’ve come up with one more way to enjoy these delightful graham crackers. Check back soon for that post, and have a fabulous first weekend of summer!
This recipe was seen first on Posh Little Designs. All Rights Reserved.
All Images are photographed and owned property of Posh Little Designs. All Rights Reserved 2021.