Last weekend was surprisingly quiet, so Amaia and I had time to make a batch of baked chocolate chai donuts. The small batch donut recipe is one of our go-tos, with a simple addition of chai spice and concentrate for cozy fall vibes. The chai adds warm spices such as cardamom, clove, cinnamon and ginger which compliments the chocolate based donut deliciously! Dunked in a chai spiced glaze the donuts are a fitting treat for the summer to fall transition and perfect for dipping in a mug of coffee or cocoa. The small batch chocolate donut recipe also has a dairy and gluten free option with allergy friendly ingredients!
Small Batch Chocolate Chai Donuts
Baked chocolate chai donuts dunked in spiced chai glaze. Dusted with cinnamon and finished with gold leaf. Dairy free.
How the Chocolate Chai Donuts taste
Chocolate and chai are wonderful flavors for any season but especially fall, and even more so as a donut paring. You’ll taste the rich chocolatey cake donut at first bite, with a welcoming addition of chai spices, similar to that of your favorite chai tea and sure to remind you that fall is near. The donut glaze is also chai forward with extra spicy flavor throughout, guaranteed to prepare you for sweater weather!
Small Batch Chocolate Chai Cake Donut Ingredients
In addition to being delicious, the chocolate chai donuts are extremely easy to make, taking only 6 minutes in the oven. That means they’ll be ready to satisfy your chocolate and chai cravings in no time! And since the recipe is small batch it’s the perfect amount for family dessert or a close knit fall gathering, without too many leftovers!
Here’s what you’ll need for a batch:
- Unbleached AP flour
- Granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- Cocoa powder
- Chai spice blend
- Vegan Butter
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Chai concentrate
- Almond milk
- Powdered sugar
- Donut pan
- Piping bag
- Edible gold leaf
Do I have to use organic or alternative ingredients?
This donut recipe is very versatile and does not require the use of alternative ingredients to turn out great. Use what you have on hand in the pantry and they’re sure to be delicious either way!
How to make a small batch of chocolate chai donuts
You’ll appreciate how easy these donuts are to make too. Because they’re small batch, the measurements are a little smaller. If you’d prefer more donuts than 8, just double the recipe.
- Step one. In a separate mixing bowl, mix together flour, cocoa, chai spice, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Step two. Place, butter (vegan) and sugar together in the mixing bowl and mix until well combined.
- Step three. Add eggs and vanilla.
- Step four. Mix together until well combined.
- Step five. Pour dry mixture into the butter, sugar and egg, alternating in thirds with chai concentrate and almond milk mixture.
- Step six. Mix together until the batter forms.
- Step six. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Step seven. Transfer chocolate chai donut batter into a piping bag.
- Step eight. Grease the donut cavities well, then pipe the donut batter filling each cavity 2/3 full.
- Step nine. Bake donuts for six minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Step ten. While the donuts are baking, make a quick glaze with powdered sugar and chai concentrate. The glaze should be thick enough to not drip off the donuts.
- Step eleven. Once the donuts have cooled, dunk them in the chai glaze, then dust with chai spice and gold leaf for a finishing touch.
- Serve immediately or transfer to the fridge, so the glaze doesn’t melt. Enjoy with coffee, tea or cocoa!
Check out the quick video below to see how quickly the donuts come together.
Light and fluffy chocolate chai donuts baked not fried and dunked in simple and sweet chai glaze. Dairy Free.
- 1/4 cup vegan butter (regular butter can also be used)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tsp chai spice blend
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup organic unbleached flour
- 1/4 cup of alternative milk of choice (I use almond) (or regular milk)
- 1/4 cup chai concentrate
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp+ chai concentrate
Gold leaf and chai spice blend for garnish.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Grease donut baking cavities well.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cocoa powder, chai spice in a separate mixing bowl until combined.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer mix together vegan butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add in egg and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Pour a portion of the chocolate chai flour mixture into the egg and sugar, alternating in thirds with 1/2 cup chai concentrate and almond milk, until completely combined.
- Pour the mixed chocolate batter into a piping bag, cutting the tip with scissors.
- Pipe the batter into well greased donut cavities filling just below the edge.
- Tap the donut pan to evenly spread the batter.
- Bake in the oven for 5-6 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove baked donuts from pan and transfer to a cooling rack.
- Pour powdered sugar into a glass bowl.
- Stir in chai concentrate.
- Mix thoroughly until thick and combined.
- When the glaze is ready, it should be a thick slow dripping dip consistency. If it seems too thick add a splash more concentrate.
- Dunk the donuts face down into the glaze.
- Shake off excess, then place them on a piece of parchment to set.
- Dust with chai spice blend.
- Allow the donut glaze to set for 10-20 minutes. You can even place them in the fridge to set quicker. Then finish with gold leaf.
- Store in a well sealed container preferably in the fridge until ready to serve.
- They will keep for roughly 3 days but taste best when eaten the same or next day.
Keywords: fall donut recipes, chocolate chai donuts, doughnut recipes, chai glaze, dairy free doughnuts, easy recipes, small batch donuts, baked donut recipes
If you love chocolate and chai flavors then these donuts are a must make and try!
They’d also be a lovely addition to celebratory fall menus with the pop of gold on top.
Bookmark this simple donut recipe, by saving to Pinterest!
This post titled Chocolate Chai Donuts – Small Batch was seen first on Posh Little Designs. All Rights Reserved. 2022.