Light and fluffy chocolate baked donuts baked not fried and dunked in simple and sweet vanilla bean glaze. Dairy Free & Gluten Free
For the Donuts:
- 2 TBSP vegan butter (regular butter can also be used)
- 2 TBSP avocado oil (coconut or canola oil can be used)
- 1/2 cup raw organic sugar (or regular sugar)
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 easpoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon gf vanilla
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup gluten free flour – Namaste brand (regular flour can also be used)
- 1/2 cup of alternative milk of choice (I use almond)
For the Vanilla Bean Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Seeds from 1/2 vanilla bean
- 1 TBSP alternative milk
Nonpareil sprinkles for garnish.
FOR THE CHOCOLATE DONUTS:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Grease a donut baking pan well.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer blend together oil, vegan butter and sugar.
- Add in egg and gf vanilla and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together baking soda, baking powder, salt, cocoa powder and gluten free flour
- Pour a portion of the flour mixture into the egg and sugar, alternating in thirds with 1/2 cup of alternative milk, until completely combined.
- Pour the mixed chocolate batter into a piping bag, cutting the tip with scissors.
- Pipe the batter into well greased donut cavities filling only about 3/4 full (or just below the edge).
- Tap the donut pan to evenly spread the batter.
- Bake in the oven for 8 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove baked donuts from pan and transfer to a cooling rack.
FOR THE VANILLA BEAN GLAZE:
- In glass bowl, mix together powdered sugar, vanilla beans
- Stir in a few drops of alternative milk at a time.
- Mix thoroughly until think and combined.
- When the glaze is ready, it should be a thick slow dripping dip consistency. If it seems too thick add a splash more milk.
- Dunk the donuts face down into the glaze.
- Shake off excess, then place them on a piece of parchment to set.
- Sprinkle with nonpareils.
- Allow the donut glaze to set for 10-20 minutes. You can even place them in the fridge to chill quicker.
- Store in a well sealed container until ready to serve.
- They will keep for roughly 3 days but taste best when eaten the same or next day.
Keywords: gluten free chocolate donuts, doughnut recipes, vanilla glaze, gluten free baking, easy, small batch,