We’re heading into week seven of the stay home order, so I’ve had extra time experimenting with alternative baking. I’ve tested some gluten free flours and dairy milk alternatives, and in the process developed a gluten free chocolate cake donut recipe that I think you’re gonna love! It’s one of those recipes that’s SO good, you won’t even know it’s gluten free! Light, moist and fluffy chocolate cake donuts, dunked in a sweet vanilla bean glaze. The recipe also only calls for 1 cup of flour, so they’re small batch and the perfect quarantine sweet treat!
SMALL BATCH GLUTEN FREE CHOCOLATE DONUTS
Light and fluffy chocolate cake donuts, baked not fried and dunked in simple and sweet vanilla bean glaze. Dairy Free & Gluten Free.
My husband is not dairy or gluten free, so I know when he loves what I make, that I’ve created something wonderful! These gluten free cake donuts are just that! In fact, they were such a hit with my family, I actually made them twice! Sweet chocolate donuts paired with that quick vanilla glaze, which is classic in a modern kind of dairy and gluten free way! You’ll just need a few ingredients to make the recipe and I’m almost certain they’ll be a hit with your family too!
WHAT GLUTEN FREE FLOUR IS BEST FOR BAKING?
Having the right gluten free flour on hand makes all the difference in the texture and consistency of these gluten free donuts. I find that premixed blends work best in terms of flavor and overall results. The premixed store bought gluten free flours usually include brown rice flour, tapioca starch, arrowroot powder, sorghum flour and xanthan gum. These are ideal combinations for any gluten free flour blend. Also look for a 1:1 baking option for an easy way to substitute regular flour in any recipe. The gluten free flour blend that I used is Namaste. It worked so well in today’s baked donut recipe, that we couldn’t even tell the difference.
ALTERNATIVE BUTTER AND MILK
There are so many alternative butters and milks on the market, and they are both easily adaptable in most recipes. I prefer almond milk as a replacement for most baking because of its mild flavor and thin consistency. I find that it provides a great amount of moisture in place of regular milk in recipes and has worked well for me for close to 7 years. For butter I prefer Earth Balance, but cashew butter is also a great fatty alternative.
HOW TO MAKE GLUTEN FREE CHOCOLATE DONUTS
I developed this recipe using smaller measurements, so you can continue to preserve your baking ingredients at home! It’ll only take about 20 minutes to bake a batch of the chocolate doughnuts from start to finish! You will need a donut baking pan. Grease the pan, then mix vegan butter, oil and sugar together in a stand mixer. Stir in egg, and vanilla. Mix baking soda, baking powder, salt, cocoa powder and gluten free flour in a separate bowl until combined. Pour 1/3 of the flour mix into the egg, butter and sugar, alternating with 1/3 of alternative milk, mixing until fully combined. Transfer batter to a piping bag, then squeeze the chocolate donut batter into each greased donut cavity, filling 3/4 of the way full. Bake for roughly 8 minutes or remove from oven when a toothpick comes out clean. Dip the cooled donuts in the thick and sweet vanilla glaze, then allow 10-20 minutes to set.
VANILLA BEAN GLAZE
There’s nothing quite more delicious that classic vanilla and chocolate together and these donuts are no exception. The vanilla bean glaze is made with just 3 ingredients. Confectioners sugar, vanilla beans and alternative milk. Add a few drops of milk to the sugar and vanilla beans at a time, until it’s the perfect thick dipping consistency for the heavenly chocolate donuts.
Sweet tooth satisfying!Print
Light and fluffy chocolate baked donuts baked not fried and dunked in simple and sweet vanilla bean glaze. Dairy Free & Gluten Free
For the Donuts:
- 2 TBSP vegan butter (regular butter can also be used)
- 2 TBSP avocado oil (coconut or canola oil can be used)
- 1/2 cup raw organic sugar (or regular sugar)
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 easpoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon gf vanilla
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup gluten free flour – Namaste brand (regular flour can also be used)
- 1/2 cup of alternative milk of choice (I use almond)
For the Vanilla Bean Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Seeds from 1/2 vanilla bean
- 1 TBSP alternative milk
Nonpareil sprinkles for garnish.
FOR THE CHOCOLATE DONUTS:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Grease a donut baking pan well.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer blend together oil, vegan butter and sugar.
- Add in egg and gf vanilla and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together baking soda, baking powder, salt, cocoa powder and gluten free flour
- Pour a portion of the flour mixture into the egg and sugar, alternating in thirds with 1/2 cup of alternative milk, until completely combined.
- Pour the mixed chocolate batter into a piping bag, cutting the tip with scissors.
- Pipe the batter into well greased donut cavities filling only about 3/4 full (or just below the edge).
- Tap the donut pan to evenly spread the batter.
- Bake in the oven for 8 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove baked donuts from pan and transfer to a cooling rack.
FOR THE VANILLA BEAN GLAZE:
- In glass bowl, mix together powdered sugar, vanilla beans
- Stir in a few drops of alternative milk at a time.
- Mix thoroughly until think and combined.
- When the glaze is ready, it should be a thick slow dripping dip consistency. If it seems too thick add a splash more milk.
- Dunk the donuts face down into the glaze.
- Shake off excess, then place them on a piece of parchment to set.
- Sprinkle with nonpareils.
- Allow the donut glaze to set for 10-20 minutes. You can even place them in the fridge to chill quicker.
- Store in a well sealed container until ready to serve.
- They will keep for roughly 3 days but taste best when eaten the same or next day.
Keywords: gluten free chocolate donuts, doughnut recipes, vanilla glaze, gluten free baking, easy, small batch,
Enjoy these delicious donuts with a mug of tea or coffee, or as an after dinner treat!
They would also make the perfect gluten and dairy free dessert, for those with birthdays coming up who are celebrating at home! Party for 8.
Happy baking and happy May!
This post titled Small Batch Gluten Free Chocolate Donuts seen first on Posh Little Designs. All Rights reserved. 2020