With Feb nearly over, and St. Patrick’s day coming up soon, I’m switching gears from all things pink, to green and gold…for now anyways. If you’ve yet to make meringue kisses, now’s the perfect time to do so! They require very little ingredients, look beautiful displayed and taste delish too. Feeling inspired by the upcoming Irish holiday and the term “Kiss me I’m Irish” I whipped up a quick batch of of these sweet delights, infused with Irish Whiskey, for a very festive touch.
Turns out Jameson and meringue work rather well together, and the dark chocolate as the icing on top!
Sweet meringue kisses colored mint green, infused with Irish Whiskey and painted with edible gold for St. Patrick’s Day.
- 3 large egg whites at room temp
- A dash of salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar
- 1 teaspoon Jameson Irish Whiskey
- a dash of green gel food coloring
- Wilton color mist gold spray (optional)
- Dark chocolate (or chocolate of choice – I use dairy free)
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper and preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Prep a piping bag with tips of choice. I used 2. Wilton star tip (4B) & Round tip 12.
- Add egg whites and dash of salt to the bowl of a stand mixer and beat on medium until foamy.
- Add cream of tarter, increase speed to high and beat in sugar a small amount at a time.
- Next add your teaspoon of Jameson + an extra dash for good measure.
- Beat on high until stiff peaks form (around 6 minutes), and then add a tiny drop of green food coloring until desired mint green color is achieved.
- Transfer meringue to your piping bag, and pipe kisses onto your parchment paper about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 1 hour on the top rack, then turn off the oven keeping the meringues put for about 2 hours to dry out.
- Once dry remove from oven.
- Spray your wilton color mist onto a piece of parchment paper and with a food safe paint brush, lightly paint the tops or sides of your meringues gold.
- Allow to dry about 15 minutes.
- Heat your chocolate in the microwave or double boiler on 30 second intervals until fully melted.
- Dip the bottoms of your meringue kisses into the melted chocolate and place back on parchment.
- Once you’ve dipped all your meringues you can place them in the fridge for 5-10 minutes to let the chocolate set.
- Cover until ready to serve.
- You can easily make this recipe alcohol free by substituting your favorite extract such as mint for the whiskey.
Display your finished meringues on serving trays or cake stands, alongside your fave festive desserts. As you can see they stack easily and are absolutely gorgeous standing alone.
They also make sweet gifts for friends and loved ones!
Not into whiskey? No problem. Substitute the Jameson for your favorite extracts, like almond, mint, or vanilla to make them liquor free and kid friendly.
Much more on the way soon! Enjoy!
This post titled Irish Whiskey Meringue Kisses was seen first on Posh Little Designs. All Rights Reserved 2016.