Homemade baked donuts dipped in blood orange glaze then drizzled with dark chocolate. Topped with sea salt and orange zest. Dairy & Gluten Free
For the Donuts
- 1/4 cup vegan butter (regular butter can also be used)
- 1/4 cup avocado oil (coconut or canola oil can be used)
- 1 cup coconut sugar (or regular sugar)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon gf vanilla
- 2 2/3 cups flour – Bobs Redmill GF 1-1 Flour
- 1 cup milk of alternative choice (I use almond
- Zest from 1 orange
For the Blood Orange Glaze
- 2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp fresh squeezed Blood Orange Juice
- 1 tsp quality Blood Orange extract or oil
Vegan dark chocolate, sea salt and orange zest for garnish.
- FOR THE DONUTS
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer blend together oil, butter and sugars.
- Add in eggs and gf vanilla, zest and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
- Pour a portion of the flour mixture into the egg and sugar, alternating into thirds with 1 cup of milk, until completely combined.
- Pour the mixed batter into a piping bag, cutting the tip with scissors.
- Pipe the batter into well greased donut cavities filling only about 2/3 full (or just below the edge).
- Tap the donut pan to evenly spread the batter.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove baked donuts from pan and transfer to a cooling rack.
- FOR THE BLOOD ORANGE GLAZE
- In glass bowl, mix together powdered sugar, blood orange juice and extract.
- Mix thoroughly until incorporated.
- When the glaze is ready, it should be a thick slow dripping dip consistency. If it seems too thick add a splash more juice.
- DIPPING INSTRUCTIONS
- Dunk the donuts face down into the glaze.
- Place them on a piece of parchment to set.
- Allow the donut glaze to set for at least 20 minutes. You can even place them in the fridge to chill quicker.
- FOR THE DARK CHOCOLATE DRIZZLE:
- Heat 1/2 cup vegan dark chocolate chips in a double boiler until melted.
- Once melted transfer chocolate to a piping bag.
- Drizzle chocolate over the tops of the glazed donuts.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and orange zest.
- Set aside to harden.
- Store in a well sealed container until ready to serve.
- They will keep for roughly 3 days but taste best when eaten the same day.
Keywords: blood orange glaze, donuts, gluten free, dairy free, baking, dessert, recipes