Now that I’m on this detox, I’m more aware of what I’m putting in my body. Healthy treats and plenty of fruits and veg are a must, not only for me, but for my entire family. Also, treats that are quick and easy to make and grab from the fridge are essential for our busy days and long afternoons.
I brought home some dragon fruit from the grocery store the other day. Have you ever tried it? What attracted me to the fruit initially was the vibrant pink exterior. It’s unique looking on the outside and inside and is a delicious addition to smoothie bowls and is also a great topping for yogurt and breakfast foods. It also photographs quite cleanly, with its white fruit and tiny black seeds. The flavor of a ripe dragon fruit is similar to a kiwi. Mild, and slightly tart with a hint of sweet and loads of health benefits.
Dragon fruit aka pitaya is considered a super fruit, loaded with high levels of vitamin C. It’s also rich in B vitamins for skin health and blood pressure. Its antioxidants aid in cancer prevention and it’s also got antibacterial properties and aids in digestion. If that’s not enough to convince you to give dragon fruit a try, perhaps dipping it in a little vegan dark chocolate will!
Dark Chocolate Dragon Fruit
I cut the dragon fruit into little hearts, for Valentine’s Day!
Find the mini heart cutter in the posh shop!
Since dragon fruit has a lot of liquid, you’ll want to pat it dry before dipping it into chocolate.
Garnish with a little unsweetened coconut for garnish and you’ve got a healthy treat that the whole family will love!
- 2 ripe dragon fruit (look for bright even colored skin) sliced into 1 inch thick rounds and then cut into heart shapes.
- 1 cup vegan dark chocolate chips. I used the Enjoy Life brand.
- Unsweetened coconut.
- Mini heart cutter
- Heat vegan chocolate chips in a double boiler or in the microwave until fully melted.
- Place heart shaped dragon fruit onto a paper towel and pat dry to remove some of the liquid.
- Lay out a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet or flat plate.
- Dip dragon fruit hearts halfway into the melted chocolate.
- Shake off excess chocolate, then lay flat onto parchment paper.
- Top with unsweetened coconut shreds.
- Repeat steps for all cut dragon fruit.
- Chill for 30 minutes or until ready to serve.
- Store in an airtight container.
Step by step photos show you just how simple and healthy this treat really is.
Just 3 ingredients necessary!
And they’re so dippable and sweet!
Make these fruity hearts in advance and pop them in your kid’s lunch boxes, serve as a treat for Valentine’s day, or top your favorite smoothie or smoothie bowl with them. It’s tough to go wrong with this combo!
Since it’s allergy friendly, it’s a snack suitable for anyone and is sure to satisfy sweet tooths and cravings.
The bold pink skin of the dragon fruit makes it even more desirable, especially for Valentine’s Day.
I hope you heart this healthy snack as much as I do! Sweet, tropical and made with love!
Dark Chocolate Dragon Fruit was seen first on Posh Little Designs. All rights reserved. 2018