Unicorn toast is quickly gaining popularity on social media and I’ve totally fallen for the magic. This not so typical toast gets its name for its colorful spreads and toppings. I like to call it the breakfast of champions and unicorns too!
Have you tried it yet?
After finding tiny toasts at Whole Foods, I knew I had to put a mini spin on the trendy treat. I topped the toasts with fruit infused almond cream cheese, then garnished with edible blooms and sprinkles from my shop.
The natural pastel colors of the cream cheese- swoon worthy! I achieved the colors using fresh berries and mango. Almost too pretty to eat! And I love that it’s a healthy alternative to artificially colored unicorn food. Also vegan.
The mini canapé size of the toasts makes this unicorn food ideal for serving at parties.
Move over avocado!
Mini Unicorn Toast
- One pack of Petite Toasts from Whole Foods
- Kite Hill Almond Cream Cheese (regular dairy cream cheese can be used as well)
- 1/3 cup fresh organic raspberries (rinsed)
- 1/3 cup fresh organic blackberries (rinsed)
- 1/3 cup very ripe mango diced
- 3 teaspoons agave nectar to sweeten (optional)
- fresh edible blooms for garnish
- colorful sprinkles for garnish
- Put the fruits into 3 separate bowls - mash with a fork or potato masher until smooth. It should be a puree like consistency.
- Add 1 teaspoon of agave nectar to each of the fruit blends for a hint of sweet.
- Divide cream cheese into quarters and then mix 3 of the quarters separately into the fruit.
- You'll notice the cream cheese takes on the color and flavor of each of the blended fruits.
- Continue to stir until fully incorporated and set aside.
- Using a small appetizer knife, spread fruit cream cheese onto the petite toasts.
- Garnish with sprinkles and petals from edible blooms.
- You can experiment with the look of the toasts by using all 3 spreads on the toast, or just a few.
- Use creativity and decorate them how you wish! The sky is really the limit when it comes to the toppings and design of the toast.
- The quarter of cream cheese that's left over can also be used on the toast, for color contrast.
- Serve immediately, or place in the fridge until ready.
- The toast holds up nicely to the toppings and can be made a few hours in advance.
- Regular dairy cream cheese can be substituted for the vegan alternative.
You can serve this mini unicorn toast for breakfast, lunch, or even dessert and adjust the toppings and spreads as desired! View the slides above to see how I created mine.
Try the toast with fruits of choice, and watch the cream cheese transform. It’s pretty magical to witness and enjoy as well!
I hope you give this delightful dessert a try! My oldest daughter has chosen a unicorn theme for her birthday and I’m strongly considering serving these tiny delights. I bet that they’ll disappear quickly, just like magic!
More on that soon.
Also, if you’re looking for more unicorn toast inspiration, head over to instagram and search the hashtag #unicorn toast. I was amazed by the bold and dreamy creations that I saw.
Are you still loving the unicorn food trend? Or ready to see something new? Share your thoughts in the comments below and have a magical weekend!
Mini Unicorn Toast was seen first on Posh Little Designs. All Rights Reserved 2017.