Happy Spring! Blood oranges are one of my favorite fruits to work with this time of year. They’re naturally gorgeous and have bright citrus and even some floral notes, making them the perfect fruit for seasonal recipes!
Around Thanksgiving last year, my mom made this amazing galette with cranberries. If you’re not familiar with galettes, they’re similar to a pie, with crust that wraps around fresh fruit. They can even be made savory with vegetables and cheeses. Yum!
I wanted to highlight the beauty of the blood oranges without breaking them down, so I turned them into galettes, to keep them in their natural form. I simply sliced the blood oranges, wrapped them in pie crust and baked them in the oven.
Because of my current hand situation, I have to tell you that I cheated and bought store-bought pie crust, but this made the recipe so much easier for me! I found the crust for the galettes at Whole Foods in the frozen section. It’s organic and vegan as well.
To add more flavor and dimension to the blood orange galettes, I brushed them with vegan butter and dusted them in a mix of sugar, pink himalaya salt and vanilla bean.
They turned out sweet, citrusy and somewhat savory with the addition of the salt on the crust. My mouth is watering as I type this.
I enjoyed a few of the galettes with my favorite glass of vino. Bubbles or rosé would pair nicely with them as well!
- 3 blood oranges
- 1 vegan pie crust
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 vanilla bean
- Butter (vegan or regular)
- Mix together sugar, salt and vanilla bean and set aside.
- Slice the tops off of the oranges.
- Using a pairing knife or similar, slice away the peel of the oranges, leaving the fruit intact in its rounded shape.
- Once all of the skin has been removed, slice the oranges into 1/4 inch thick rounds. Set aside.
- Roll out your pie crust according to instructions.
- Use the round part of a regular drinking glass to cut the pie crust into rounds.
- Place the orange rounds into the center of the crust and wrap the excess crust around each orange.
- If you're feeling fancy, you can pinch the edges of the crust like you would a pie.
- You can also make vertical cuts into the crust and wrap in segments for a decorative look.
- I braided a few small pieces of crust together to garnish my galettes (also optional.)
- Once all of your galettes are assembled, brush a little butter (I used vegan) around the edges of the crust.
- Sprinkle with salt, sugar and vanilla bean mix.
- Bake the galettes in the oven at 400 degrees for about 12 minutes, or until edges are golden brown.
- These galettes can be made in advance and keep for about 4 days. If you can't find blood oranges, any other orange you have on hand will do. Try Cara Cara oranges. They're tinted pink and just as fabulous!
If you have a celebration coming up this spring, whether a gals day in, or Easter brunch, be sure to add these galettes to your menu.
Their small size makes them perfect for you and your guest to grab and enjoy. And if you buy store-bought crust like I did, they’ll take you just moments to make. I promise I won’t tell!
If you’re looking for a homemade crust recipe instead, find mine here.
Wishing you all a sweet Sunday!
This post titled Mini Blood Orange Galettes was seen first on Posh Little Designs. All Rights Reserved 2017.